Monday, May 12, 2014

Free Pattern: Easy Chevron Afghan

There are toooons of ripple/chevron afghan patterns out there.  I've finally just made one that I like and I've found the secret to making them.  Well I haven't just "made" it, I'm still in the process of making it, but I'm 1/8 of the way done and I like the way it looks.




Yarn Used:  Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn (Worsted size 4)
Hook Used: I/9 (5.50 MM)
Gauge: 2 rows = 1 inch; Peak to peak/valley to valley = 6 inches

Ch=chain
Dc = double crochet
Dc2tog = *Yarn over, insert hook through next stitch, yarn over and pull loop through stitch, yarn over and pull through first 2 loops on hook; Repeat from * once. Yarn over and pull through remaining 3 loops on hook.
Dc3tog = *Yarn over, insert hook through next stitch, yarn over and pull loop through stitch, yarn over and pull through first 2 loops on hook; Repeat from * twice. Yarn over and pull through remaining 4 loops on hook.

Ch multiples of 20 plus 2.

160 ch will make an approximately 48” wide afghan.

Row 1: Dc in 3rd ch from hook;  dc in next 8 ch; 3 dc in next ch; dc in next 8 ch; *Dc3tog over next 3 ch; Dc in next 8 ch; 3 dc in next ch; dc in next 8 ch.  Repeat from * across.  Dc2tog in last 2 unworked ch of the row.  Ch 2, turn.

Row 2 (WORK IN BACK LOOPS ONLY IF YOU WANT A RIBBED EFFECT): Skip first dc, dc in next 9 dc; 3 dc in next dc; dc in next 8 dc; *dc3tog over next 3 dc; dc in next 8 dc; 3 dc in next dc; dc in next 8 dc.  Repeat from * across.  Dc2tog in last 2 unworked dc of the row.  Ch 2, turn.

Rows 3+: Repeat row 2 until you’ve reached your desired length.  2 rows is equal to one inch so multiply the number of inches you would like your afghan to be by 2 and that’s how many rows you need to make.  I’m making a 48”x60” afghan so I will need to make 120 rows.  Finish off and weave in ends (leave about 5 inches).

To change color:  At end of row, when working the dc2tog drop the current color of yarn when you have the last 3 loops left on your hook to finish the stitch. Yarn over with new color of yarn and pull through 3 loops on hook.  Ch 2 and turn.



No comments:

Post a Comment