Thursday, May 15, 2014

Free Pattern: Chunky Doggie Cowl

My uncle's dog is really old (16 years!) and likes to be kept warm so I decided to make a doggie cowl for her.  I tested one out on my own dog shown below (she hates the camera!)  Also, sorry it's not the best pattern for sizes, I just kind of whipped it out last night.  It works up super quick and hopefully you will have a dog on hand to test it out :)


Yarn used: Lion Brand Hometown USA Tweeds (Super Bulky)
Hook used: P-15 (10 mm)

Ch = chain
Sl st = slip stitch
Hdc = half double crochet

My dog is 20 pounds and wears a small collar for an 11-14 inch neck.  If you do the foundation chain loosely, the cowl will be stretchy.

I chained 26 (for my uncle's dog who wears a size Xtra small collar I chained 22, so maybe increase/decrease by 4 or 5 to change sizes).  Sl st to 1st ch.

Round 1:  Ch 2.  Hdc in each ch around.  Sl st to top of ch 2.
Round 2:  Ch 2.  Hdc in each around (work in back loops if you would like more detail).  Sl st to top of ch 2.

Repeat round 2 until you've reached your desired length.  I did 7 rounds total but my dog kind of has a stubby neck :)  The next one I make will probably be longer so it can bunch up a bit more.  

Fasten off and weave in ends.  Add a button or a ribbon bow to spruce it up if you'd like.

So as you can see it was not a ground breaking pattern but hey it looks super cute and my dog doesn't even mind!



No comments:

Post a Comment